As we reach the end of bittersweet end of summer and start packing to return to Wes, I wanted to send you all a few tips and reminders to help you get through those Fire Safety checks in the fall. Unfortunately, many of these prohibited items carry heavy fines, and will be confiscated in almost all cases if they are found in your room during a Fire Safety check.
Fire Safety Inspections occur at any point during the semester. Inspectors will search through all visible places in your room (that does not include closed drawers).
If you do get fined and you believe it to be unfairly levied, you can appeal the fine at: http://www.wesleyan.edu/firesafety/fineappeals-form.html.
Below are a few of the most notable things not to bring to campus in September. Full details can be found at http://www.wesleyan.edu/firesafety/guidelines.htm.
Here we go:
• Candles and incense: don’t bring them.
• Cooking appliances: microwaves and coffee-makers/electrical water kettles can stay in your room, but anything else (including George Foreman grills or other devices with a heating plate) needs to find a home in the kitchen of your residence hall, apartment, or wood-frame house.
• Charcoal or gas grills: this one is for the upperclassmen. If you bring one of these, it must be stored outside. You cannot store it indoors, or even or your porch or balcony. Also don’t bring devices that use a combustible fuel (such as kerosene or propane lamps), or build bonfires or firepits (forbidden by the City of Middletown).
• Tapestries: cannot be larger than 35 sq. ft. Since inspectors will be estimating I would advise only bringing tapestries or wall-hangings significantly under that limit.
• Extension cords and plug adapters: If it has three prongs, it’s fine, if it only has two (or converts from 3 to 2), don’t pack it.
• Halogen lamps: no halogen lamps of any kind are allowed.
• Portable electric heaters/space heaters: Don’t bring your own. If your living conditions are unbearable, Physical Plant can provide you with one until your living space is made habitable.
• Vaporizers: anything that uses a heating element to vaporize fragrances, oils, or herbs is not allowed.
• Fog/smoke machines: Fog/smoke machines have a tendency to set off the smoke detector (after all, it is a smoke machine) and bring the Fire Department to your door. Don’t bring it.
• Mercury thermometers: alcohol based thermometers are cooler, so get one of those.
• Explosives/fireworks/ammunition/other incendiary devices: these carry a very heavy fine of $500 so definitely don’t bring them.
• Lethal weapons: obviously prohibited
Tips For When You’re on Campus:
• Don’t mess with the smoke detector in your room, big fines will ensue.
• Remember that Fire Safety Inspectors cannot open closed drawers, but they can see through clear containers and follow George Foreman grill cords to the grill hidden under the pile of clothes.
• Don’t hang anything from pipes or attach anything to the ceiling.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com
Good luck packing and can’t wait to be chilling on Foss with you all in just a few weeks!
Bruno Machiavelo-Tinoco ‘16
Chair of Wesleyan Student Assembly’s Student Affairs Committee